I’m always flattered when people tell me “You’re glowing!” I just smile politely and reply “Honey, don’t be fooled. It’s just makeup.” Supposedly, the magic behind the “glow” lies in the body pumping extra blood volume. This in turn gives pregnant women the flushed radiant look. I don’t know about other preggos out there, but this pregnancy has left my otherwise low maintenance skin semi problematic. No, I don’t get breakouts but I have been prone to lots of dry patches and discoloration (thanks, hormones!).
Since moving to Colorado in my 6th month of pregnancy, I don’t go anywhere most days. What I’ve come to find is that I feel better and am more productive when I look my best. Look good, feel good. Simple. So even with nowhere to go, I get up, shower, and put my best “face” forward. Now, I’m no authority in make-up. But I am picky about brands that I support with my dollars. I believe that in this technologically evolved world, there is no excuse for the antiquated practice of cruel animal testing for makeup. Yet drugstores and beauty shops are inundated with products that blind bunnies and monkeys for the sake of “beauty”. On the bright side, more and more makeup lines are seeing the error in their ways and are developing cruelty-free products. These are my every day go-to’s. They are a mixture of high end and drugstore lines. *Also, these opinions are my own. *
1. NYX Cosmetics BB Cream Golden = $12.99
- I love this BB Cream. It works great on its own if you want the bare skin but airbrushed look and it is the perfect base for any foundation. It’s very lightweight and long lasting with a matte finish.
- I recently switched over to this foundation for its ultra thin adjustable coverage. I find it super hydrating and it doesn’t cling to dry patches, which is my current problem. Also, since I am not a fan of the caked up makeup look, I love how this leaves you with a seamless, natural finish.
3. NYX Wonder Stick – Highlighter & Contour Duo = $11.99
- Pregnancy has turned me into an insomniac. I’ve been told that it’s the body’s way of preparing me for midnight feedings/diaper changes, but it’s also left me with serious eye bags and dark circles. For quick every day looks, this highlighter & contour duo does the job. Quick application without a lot of fuss. The pigmentation on the highlighter could be better, but at $11.99 for the duo, I can’t complain.
4. bareMineral READY Touch Up Veil = $23.00
- I use this veil powder to set my foundation, highlight & contour. What I love best about this veil is that a little bit goes a long way.
5. E.L.F Studio Blush = $3.00
- This blush works well for medium skin tones. It’s also very powdery so be careful to tap off excess powder from your brush. I use the shade “tickled pink” for simple looks. It does the job at $3.00 a pop.
6. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz = $21.00
- Eyebrows and eyeliner… if I had to not wear makeup for a day, I’d at least have to make sure my brows are done and my eyes are lined. I love the Brow Wiz. I’m not a fan of painted on looking brows. This allows me to fill in my arch and sparse areas with a more natural look.
7. Kat VonD Shade & Light Eye Contour Palette = $46.00
- I received this palette as a birthday gift in August by a good friend. I was relieved to learn that Kat VonD recently certified all of her makeup line vegan. The neutrals in this palette are perfect with great pigment. They are also all matte which works well for my semi-hooded eyes.
8. Nikka Noto 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Liner = $14.00
- I’ve rocked the winged liner since my mom first let me wear makeup when I turned 15. This liner allows for a precise, quick dry wing equipped with all day staying power.
9. Too Faced Better than False Lashes Extreme – $35.00
- I wasn’t blessed with long lashes and unless it’s a very special occasion, I don’t fuss with false lashes. There are mixed reviews out there about this mascara but I’ve been nothing but pleased with it. It gives my sad lashes extra length and nice volume.
This every day makeup routine only takes about 15 minutes. Below is my first ever beauty video and I share my bare face… so please be kind. 😛